Kindred Spirits in Cahuita , Costa Rica offers 2 different options. Internship or Volunteer.
#1. Volunteers: If you love horses and ride are familiar with or not Natural Horsemanship and would love to learn a kind and fare way to be with horses, giving them the choice to be with you, Kindred Spirits would be happy to have you. We ask that you have a good experience with horses and are very comfortable around them, as well as being an intermediate to advanced rider. This program, I am sorry, is not for beginners. Depending on your being and desire to learn, there is much to discover, understand and truly enjoy doing and Being with horses. However horses demand a lot of committment, respect and care. For us, the horses’s wellfare come first, then ours. They are fed, watered and cared for before us, then we get to enjoy 🙂 Some might find this work to strenous and physically hard, but it is not a question of being extremely physically fit, it is the passion and love we have for horses, that give us our strength. For myself and many it is pure joy to feed, take care of and be with horses. Even mucking out can become a meditive ritual, just as I find gardening and painting is, expcet you have the beautiful live and warm presence of the horse with you.
During your stay you will have access to all the following:
- our extensive library of DVDs and books on different Natural Horsemanship Trainers around the world
- Audit in Clinics given throughout the year at no extra cost.
- participate in the Clinics at a discount or audit for free
- learn other Natural Horsemanship trainer methods such as Carolyn Resnick, Clicker training and Linda Tellington Jones.
- join different treks & rides when there is availability
- ride our horses, play with them & exercise them through learning our natural horsemanship ways
- learn how to give massages, accupressure points, Essential Oils, Aromatheraphy & other holistic methods we use for healing our horses & making them happier
- enjoy the surrounding nature & jungle & all the possible tours available at basic cost of tours
- enjoy practicing what you have learned with our horses
- Learn holistic care of horses and the basics of barefoot trimming and care.
- free yoga classes
- meditation area
- free access to our hotel pool
At Kindred Spirits we believe in a holistic and natural care for our horses. All our horses are with out shoes and are barefoot trimmed, for those in transition we have horse boots for them to wear. We apply Essential Oils for injuries, skin problems as well as emotional issues. Most of our horses are bitless and others on their way. We encourage people to learn a healthier and more loving way to be in partnership with their horse. We do not force a horse into a situation he does not understand or like, but calmly show him an alternative and better way to go.
You will learn this with us during your stay and through our clinics given at different times during the year. If you come when there are no clinics you will still learn with us, enjoy the multiples treks and rides along the beaches and into the jungle, meet many different and interesting people who come to visit or live in the area.
The Caribbean is full of natural wonders, from the dense jungle, to wild untouched beaches & the live coral reef of the National Park of Cahuita.
In exchange you will be asked to:
- Feeding, grooming, washing and exercising the horses by ground work and riding.
- mucking out the stalls, cleaning of tack & tack room
- Sometimes you will be asked to guide a guest on a trail ride, depending on your experience
- washing and cleaning of the meal dishes
- reception work when required
- ability to work in tourism
- willing to share and help eachother, as we are a small community
There is a minimum stay of 2 months, the time to get to know the horses, care, training and treks need time and commitment for it to be a worthwhile experience for all.
Lodging & food in return for 6 hours of work a day, with 1 free day a week. No extra cost
If desiring to stay less than 2 months, at $80 a week.
Lodging: Our shared Rancho, in the Magellan Inn, half of which is our laundry room. You will have a bed, shower, bathroom & share a fridge. You will only share this with another person or be by yourself, depending. Also a small beachhouse shared with 3 people. We have free wifi access. Use of the gardens, Yoga & meditation Pavillion. Help with preparing meals and washing up.
Meals: will be eaten together at the family table. We have most of the time vegetarian meals and sometimes seafood, the vegetables and fruit are organic
#2 Internship: As an intern, we ask that you have a keen desire and passion for horses and willingness to learn. We offer shared lodging in the beach house & meals $300 a week. You will be offered all the above. Work will be 3 hours a day, which will be feeding and cleaning of the horses, learning holistic health care for the horses and Natural Horsemanship training, as well as preparing horses for clinics & treks. You will also be expected to help with communal meal preparation and clean up, as well as the cleaning of your room, bathroom and house.
You will recieve 1 free riding lesson per week, 3 x riding per week. When we have treks, when there is availability you can join. During workshops and clinics you can help and participate as auditor for free, or if you wish to participate it will be offered at a discounted rate for all volunteers. During your stay you will have the possibility of learning about horse care, barefoot trimming, Natural Horsemanship, Holistic Healing with horses, meditation & yoga with horses and training at Liberty with horses, throughout your stay.
Minimum stay 1 week required.
Interns & Volunteers
Meals: will be eaten together at the family table. We have most of the time vegetarian meals and seafood, the vegetables and fruit are organic
The beach is 200 mt. away, offering great swimming, surfing and diving, as well as sun tanning. The natural coral reef is 2 km. away.
We ask a true commitment on your part to participate as a like-minded member of our philosophy at Kindred Spirits to make this a better world for all living beings.
Please email us if you have questions, and send in information of yourself, age, experience, curriculum vitae, and other life experiences etc…
Please take out kindredspiritscr email and name and add yours to the form below. Thank you
Look forward to hearing from you!
Pura Vida from Kindred Spirits!